I started a batch of strawberry mead a couple weeks back (and I’m really excited about it!), mostly following the recipe given in the second post on this forum.

The noticeable differences included adding the strawberries after the primary fermentation; in other words, I didn’t just dump everything in the bucket and let it go–I made a batch of plain old mead, then racked it onto a bunch of strawberries (10 lbs, not 14 as the recipe calls for). The strawberries were more expensive than I anticipated, but I think they’ll be worth it.

I also used two packets of yeast (Red Star champagne) and about 14 lbs of honey–more of both than I usually do–and added yeast nutrient.  I think this explains why the fermentation was done in about two weeks, much shorter than I am accustomed to.  Another small change is that I used bottled distilled water, not tap water.  I think this will keep the flavor a little bit more pure (or not, but it’s worth the 4 dollars or so to get the purest water).

Stats:

Started: 6 January 2010

First rack: 25 January 2010 (onto strawberries, in carboy)

Advertisements