So I got home today to discover that the strawberry mead had overflowed its carboy–not a volcanic eruption exactly, more like simmering cauldron.  Admittedly I had filled it up right to the bottom of the neck (a combination of the fact that I didn’t filter off much of the yeast from the fermentation bucket and the addition of the strawberries).  But the problem was that the strawberries had floated to the top of the carboy and were trapping the CO2 bubbling out of the mixture rather than letting it go through.  Strawberries rise to the top and their juices start coming out of the one-way valve on the carboy.

No major damage, just sanitized my tubing, stuck it in there to gently move the strawberries around and let the air out, and siphoned out a cup or two worth of mead (which I sampled, and enjoyed : ).  It is now an inch or so below the neck of the carboy and should be fine (I hope!)

On another note: next time, if I’m not getting them fresh, then I’m buying the frozen strawberries at Costco!

Advertisements