Lemon Ginger Issues

Leave a comment

So the bubbling didn’t start after 48 hours so I gave it a raucous stirring 2 days after. Still no fermentation, I let it go for a few more days (1 week in fact) without any bubbling. There was evidence of a little CO2 coming off, but not enough once every minute or two–i.e., my attention span. I added 5 tsp of the yeast nutrient (as I expected I would) on the 24th and let it go for a few more days: still no activity. Or so I thought.

Yesterday (Saturday the 26th) I take matters into my own hands and decide to re-start with more yeast, which I prepare according to the package. I go to lift up the lid and realize that I didn’t actually re-secure the lid on the bucket, so it was really just resting on top. Hopefully it remained hermetic, that seal is still pretty secure I imagine, but more importantly I realize that fermentation probably had started back when I added the nutrient, but who knows. I added the yeast anyway, gave it a rigorous stir, and now it is bubbling happily.

Stats, for the record:

  • Started: 16 Feb 2011
  • Re-started: 26 Feb 2011 (with 1 more packet Red Star champagne yeast and yeast nutrient)
Advertisements

If life gives you lemons

Leave a comment

Make mead. Nuff said, I’m re-trying the lemon ginger that was I think my second batch of mead I ever made and my first 5 gallon batch. I’m erring on the side of less of the flavor-y stuff this time around (as with all of my second generation meads), but I may end up adding some more in the secondary to give it a bit more flavor. Recipe:

  • 1 gallon (approx 12 lbs) Bee Well wildflower honey
  • rind and juice from 2 lemons
  • 3oz candied ginger
  • 1 packet Red Star champagne yeast
  • water up to 5gallons

Just realized that I didn’t add any yeast nutrient. I guess we’ll see how it goes and add some with another packet of yeast if the fermentation gets stuck. Stats:

  • Started: 16 Feb 2011

Various updates, pictures

Leave a comment

 

Two deliciously uneventful racks happened over the last couple weeks, both the chai mead #2 and the blueberry mead.

The Chai mead is very sweet and the chai doesn’t overpower it too much. Morgan doesn’t like the sweetness of it (and honestly, I think it is a bit too sweet as well), but it is still great. I like to have a variety and most of my meads turn out on the drier side anyway. The yeast makes a difference–this batch tastes remarkably similar (and has a similar sparkle) to the Orange-Cinnamon mead I made quite a long time ago. As of today (16 Feb) there is already a lot of clarifying going on. Stats for Chai #2:

  • Started: 21 December 2010chai mead #2
  • First Rack: 31 January 2011

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Blueberry mead got 1oz of blueberry extract and about a pound of honey added to it to increase the sweetness a bit and the blueberriness some. There is a lot of cruft hanging around, but that is similar to the apple cider, I think. I will definitely be racking it out of the extra fibers and stuff on the next rack. Stats:

  • Started 13 Jan 2011blueberry mead
  • Racked 13 Feb 2011 + 1oz blueberry flavoring + 1lb wildflower honey