So I racked the Lemon Ginger #2 mead today and it tastes GOOD. A little light on the ginger at first and I think the lemon predominates, but I’m not going to mess with it. My roommate is happy that I’ve made a spicier/drier mead again (makes up for the POM#2 that is delicious but very sweet). I think it tastes remarkably like the first batch of Lemon Ginger mead I made, which I’m very happy about–at this point I’m more happy with consistency than with raw tastiness (cause let’s face it, it all tastes delicious). Stats for the record:

  • Started: 16 Feb 2011
  • Re-started: 26 Feb 2011 (with 1 more packet Red Star champagne yeast and yeast nutrient)
  • Racked: 21 Mar 2011 (no issues)

On a minor note, while I had the sanitizing stuff out I went ahead and stirred up the cranberry mead. It had stopped bubbling almost entirely which worries me so early in the process. At the same time, it was going really fast at the start and the taste when I was finished stirring was pretty great, so I’m not worried about a stuck fermentation or anything. Just a little surprised that it had stopped relatively quickly (11 days after start).

 

Advertisements