Racking

Leave a comment

Tonight I racked Lemon Ginger#2 and Cranberry, both are perfect! I’m working on this two-batch-at-a-time thing. Since I’ve made the processes more efficient, I can stand to do two batches at the same time. I think I can get more consistency and to better comparisons by doing it. Stats:

LG#2:

  • Started: 16 Feb 2011
  • Re-started: 26 Feb 2011 (with 1 more packet Red Star champagne yeast and yeast nutrient)
  • Racked: 21 Mar 2011 (no issues)
  • Racked: 25 Apr 2011 (perfect!)

Cranberry (I don’t know the exact date of the first rack, whoops):

  • Started: 10 March 2011
  • Racked: 30 Mar 2011 (?)
  • Racked: 25 Apr 2011 (perfect!)

And in REALLY bad news land, I broke my first carboy when I dropped it on the ground. Luckily I was about to rinse it out so it was empty, but may be a reason to start fully converting to plastic Better Bottle bottles, which I had already been considering. We’ll see how the Better Bottles do before I commit.

Bottling process, blueberry

Leave a comment

So I took some video of the equipment I use and how I prepare for the bottling stage of the process. Check it out here:

Moreoever I got a good video of how the actual siphoning works and the hands-free process that I use to get the mead going. It’s pretty nifty all things considered:

The bottling was done on April 11th, so for the record here are the final stats for blueberry mead:

  • Started 13 Jan 2011
  • Racked 13 Feb 2011 + 1oz blueberry flavoring + 1lb wildflower honey
  • Racked 10 Mar 2011
  • Bottled 11 Apr 2011 + 1lb wildflower honey (dissolved in warm water first) (Potassium Sorbate was used to neutralize the yeast and gelatin-based clarifier)