So I’m currently racking the two orange batches, first the Just Orange batch (made with EC-1118 yeast), which is still more dry than I want. I’ve been playing around with different meads, but sampling this one it still has the slightly-too-dry overly-alcoholy aftertaste of the Blueberry Mead. So I don’t think it is precisely the yeast (although that still plays a part, I’m sure). I’m thinking it might be the amount of honey (I’m consistently starting with 1gal=12lbs of honey) since I could certainly be adding more. The only strict guidance I’ve gotten about how much honey was way back in my first batches when I read that 10lbs yields a “drier” mead and 15lbs yields a “sweeter” mead. Not precise enough I don’t think. So I added 1qt of honey before I racked it and we’ll see how it goes. Stats:

  • Started: 29 March 2011
  • 1st Rack: 3 May 2011

The 3rd gen mead is not as dark or meaty as the first generation, nor as dry as the 2nd, but is still dry (equally as Just Orange). So I added another quart of honey before racking it, stirring profusely. I’m pretty sure the fermentation is still active by the number of excited bubbles that came up and foamed at the surface–just a curiosity of the second yeast (D-47) generating more bubbles, and possibly the raisins providing a better fermenting environment for the yeast. Definitely a bigger fan of D47 than E1118. Stats:

  • Started: 29 March 2011
  • 1st Rack: 3 May 2011
Advertisements