I started up 2 new 4.5 gallon batches of mead today, finishing up the 5 gallon bucket of honey that I bought earlier this summer. How fast it has gone, but oh well. For future consideration, I don’t think the money I save buying in the bulk 5 gallon bucket is worth the inconvenience of measuring out the right amount of honey for each batch. Honey is very…viscous.

Anyway, the two batches are exactly the same recipe and I intend to keep it that way, hopefully I don’t lose one of them due to spigot issues (my goal is to be very careful with the spigot from here on out). Probably going to add peaches to the secondary (maybe raspberry/blackberries! either will be in season I think). I eyeballed the honey which maybe was a bad idea but was very convenient and worst case I’ll sweeten with more honey in the secondary when I add the fruit. Also experimenting with Irish Moss for the first time as a clarifier. Recipe:

  • 1 gallon wildflower honey
  • 1 heaping tbsp of Fermax yeast nutrient
  • 1/2 tsp irish moss
  • water up to 4.5 gallons (a little under 4.5 actually)
  • 1 packet Lalvin D47 yeast

Stats:

  • Started: 10 Jul 2011
Advertisements