Cider 2013, Agave Mead #2

Leave a comment

Started today 2013’s cider, got 4 gallons of cider from Sky Top brewery, put in some spices, some Dry Mead yeast (4632), and got it started.

Recipe:

  • 4 gallons of cider (pasteurized)
  • 4 sticks of cinnamon
  • 4 nutmegs
  • cloves
  • 1 gallon honey
  • spanish moss
  • Wyeast 4632

Stats:

  • Started: 9/22/2013

And also a new batch of Agave Mead (technically an acerglyn from what I recall), following this approximate recipe (couldn’t find the original).

Recipe:

  • 1 gallon of agave nectar
  • 1/2 gallon of honey
  • spanish moss
  • Wyeast 4632
  • Water up to 5 gallons

Stats:

  • Started: 9/22/2013
Advertisements

Little things

Leave a comment

Part 1

So the agave mead went all a-splody on me…in other words, I opened a bottle of the agave mead that I bottled a month or so ago (zounds! just did a search and I never recorded on here: September 21st) and it started foaming over a LOT and got all over my pretty hardwood floors.  Good thing I have an “accidents” tag on here.  What happened was that I failed to add both the Potassium Sorbate (the yeast-neutralizer) and the clarifier (a gelatin-based thing that makes it look all clear) because in my naivete I assumed (yes, ass-u-me-d) that since it looked clear and the airlock wasn’t popping that it was fine to bottle regardless.  I won’t make that mistake again!

The solution was to take a bunch of it (read: 9 bottles) to a party that I went to and promo my mead as much as possible.  It went fast and delicious…it was old enough (pushing 7 months) and a delicious recipe anyway so it worked.  It was served chilled in place of the white wine and was amazing–just bubbly enough, not too sweet, unique flavor.  I want to try it again but not fail at the preservation step because I am very curious what it would have tasted like a year from now.

Part 2

With that in mind, I added potassium sorbate to the POM#2 yesterday to neuter the yeast and today I stirred it a bit and added the clarifier.  I do not want it to end up like the Agave Mead: thoroughly enjoyed, but before its time.  Unfortunately I think I overdosed on the cinnamon (i.e., I snuck a little for myself and tasted it) but it is still really tasty.  I think the Tulip Poplar flavor will come through regardless so the idea of keeping it simple still applies…it’s just not technically a POM anymore.  I think I’ll still call it that for simplicity. 

Oh yeah, I did some stuff

Leave a comment

A little late on the posting, but I wanted to make sure that I logged some racking/bottling that I did.

1) On the 29th of July I racked the agave mead, backsweetening with about 2-3 lbs (about a 1/4 gallon) of clover honey.  Fermentation definitely restarted and I got to watch it in the carboy like I did in the old days before I got a bucket for primary fermentation

Stats:

  • Started: 16 May 2010, 8:27p
  • 1st rack: 29 July 2010 onto 2-3 lbs of clover honey

2) On the 7th of July I bottled the maple mead and it is truly amazing already, can’t wait to see what happens when I let it age for a year or so.  Not very bubbly, which would have been nice, but very sweet and kept a very strong maple flavor.

Stats:

  • Started: 8 March 2010, 9:00p
  • First rack: 5 April 2010, 9:53p
  • Second rack: 16 May 2010, 7:39p (with potassium sorbate)
  • Bottled: 7 July 2010, after using a clarifier