Did a couple things over the last weekend that I’d like to log:

1) Bottled the POM#2 on Thursday the 21st.  It is super-cinnamony, so I am going to re-name it “Cinnamon Mead” (after some deliberation : ) and cross my fingers that the cinnamon mellows out just a little bit as it ages.  It is still young.  Anyway, this time I didn’t forget to add the Potassium Sorbate and the clarifier, so no problems like the Agave Mead.  Stats:

  • Started: 18 June 2010
  • 1st Rack: 5 August 2010 onto 2 lbs clover honey
  • 2nd Rack: 27 September 2010 onto 9 long sticks of cinnamon
  • Bottled: 21 October 2010 after adding KSO4 on 17 Oct and gelatin-based clarifier on 19 Oct

2) Racked the Thanksgiving Mead #2, trying to eliminate all the extra spice bits–mostly successfully.  It was tough, the pieces of allspice and clove are getting stuck in my racking tubes.  I need the little cap that goes at the end of the tube that is made to do it anyway, but I think I have thrown away or lost them because I didn’t think I would need them.  I am dumb sometimes.  Anyway, with some forcing, it worked.  Tastes delicious, sweet and the spices are not too strong–exactly what I was trying to fix from the last time I made it!  Stats:

  • Started: 1 September 2010
  • 1st Rack: 27 September 2010 into carboy
  • 2nd Rack: 22 Oct 2010, without spices into carboy

3) Racked the cyser for the first time.  It gave me trouble with the cloves and raisins, too, but again I got it to work.  Hopefully we’ll see some secondary fermentation with the added O2 and mixing up.  Tastes…like it has promise.  Not great yet, but this process is supposed to take some time, and it’s really only 2.5 weeks old or something.  The purple starthistle mead (which, by the way, was started about 4 days before the cyser) was actually popping pretty good in spite of being older than the cyser, so I let it be.  The cyser was almost totally dead (no bubbles within a minute, at least).  Stats:

  • Started: 8 October 2010
  • 1st Rack: 24 October 2010