Two oranges

Leave a comment

So I’m currently racking the two orange batches, first the Just Orange batch (made with EC-1118 yeast), which is still more dry than I want. I’ve been playing around with different meads, but sampling this one it still has the slightly-too-dry overly-alcoholy aftertaste of the Blueberry Mead. So I don’t think it is precisely the yeast (although that still plays a part, I’m sure). I’m thinking it might be the amount of honey (I’m consistently starting with 1gal=12lbs of honey) since I could certainly be adding more. The only strict guidance I’ve gotten about how much honey was way back in my first batches when I read that 10lbs yields a “drier” mead and 15lbs yields a “sweeter” mead. Not precise enough I don’t think. So I added 1qt of honey before I racked it and we’ll see how it goes. Stats:

  • Started: 29 March 2011
  • 1st Rack: 3 May 2011

The 3rd gen mead is not as dark or meaty as the first generation, nor as dry as the 2nd, but is still dry (equally as Just Orange). So I added another quart of honey before racking it, stirring profusely. I’m pretty sure the fermentation is still active by the number of excited bubbles that came up and foamed at the surface–just a curiosity of the second yeast (D-47) generating more bubbles, and possibly the raisins providing a better fermenting environment for the yeast. Definitely a bigger fan of D47 than E1118. Stats:

  • Started: 29 March 2011
  • 1st Rack: 3 May 2011
Advertisements

Videos of the process

Leave a comment

With my friend’s help I started a couple batches on Tuesday night and actually shot some video on my super-old digital camera. 2004 old. Anyway, it’s a pretty comprehensive look at the different things I do to start a batch. No specific how-to or anything, but it does show off  the equipment I use and the ingredients that go into a batch. First vid with some general info:

 

Second vid with one batch just about finished, the other about to have the yeast pitched:

Busy night

Leave a comment

So with some help from a friend I was able to clean up my basement, put up some shelves, organize my brewing equipment, and start two batches. Expect video and pictures forthcoming from the clean-up and the two new batches, but for now I need to record the recipes and get to sleep.

3rd Gen recipe:

  • 1gallon wildflower honey
  • 5tsp fermax yeast nutrient
  • water up to 5 gallons
  • 4 navel oranges
  • 1.5c raisins, chopped
  • Lalvin D47 yeast

Stats:

  • Started: 29 March 2011

Just Orange recipe:

  • 4qts Orange Blossom honey (from Bee Well, though not local)
  • water up to 5 gallons
  • 5tsp Fermax
  • 5 navel oranges
  • Lalvin EC1118 (Prise de Mousse) champagne yeast (water may have been too hot, measured at 110 when I pitched yeast. I monitored my assistant’s work inadequately. Should be okay, we’ll see)

Stats:

  • Started: 29 March 2011

That puts me at 5 currently progressing batches of 5 gallons. That’s definitely the most mead I’ve ever had in production at one time. They’re all turning out great, it’s just a matter of putting the work into bottling them! Comments about yeast and pictures/vid to come later this week.