Peach

Leave a comment

I haven’t updated about peach in a while–I think that is accurate as I haven’t done much with the peach in a while. I’ve tried to add my usual gelatin-based clarifier to get it really clear but even after at least a month it did not get as clear as I’ve been trying to get.

One thing I’m pretty happy with is that I set out to make two identical batches and I have ended up with two identical-tasting batches. I haven’t been compelled with the actual taste yet (the honey is potent, the peaches are not) but it will age nicely.

  • Started: 10 Jul 2011
  • First Rack: 30 Jul 2011 (onto 10lbs of peaches, pureed and sanitized)
  • Second Rack: 1 Sep 2011 (off of peaches and yeast, mostly)
  • Bottled: 6 and 20 Dec 2011

TONS of work, touched it all tonight

Leave a comment

Thanks to the help of one of my friends, I got a lot of work done tonight. Direct to the work:

Racked both peaches, stats:

  • Started: 10 Jul 2011
  • First Rack: 30 Jul 2011 (onto 10lbs of peaches, pureed and sanitized)
  • Second Rack: 1 Sep 2011 (off of peaches and yeast, mostly)

Racked blackberry off the blackberries. The blackberry taste is just barely there, need to use more next time. Stats:

  • Started: 11 Aug 2011
  • First Rack: 1 Sep 2011 (off of blackberries)

Racked Chai#3 off of the spices and yeast. Has all the right flavors, the cardamom is coming through more strongly in a delicious way! Stats:

  • Started: 11 Aug 2011
  • First Rack: 1 Sep 2011

Also added clarifiers to the blueberry and the thyme mead. So they’re set to bottle after Labor Day weekend. So excited–it is all delicious! I have tried each of these meads tonight so I am a little drunk!

 

 

Racking peach mead video

Leave a comment

Just uploaded a video to youtube of the racking process for the two batches of peach mead. Enjoy the video!

Just Peachy!

2 Comments

So I’ve got some pics for you about this peach mead I’m making. Basically I’m hyper-correcting for the mistake(s) I made on the previous (and first) batch of peach mead I made gosh two years ago? Has it been that long? Anyway, I want to get it right. So this time around I pitted, cored, cubed, pureed, boiled, and cooled the peaches before I racked the previously started “plain” mead onto the peaches. Pics of the process:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I used about 10lbs of peaches per batch, though I don’t think that will add quite as much peach flavor as I was hoping. I’m fine with undertones though. For the technically inclined, this mead brewed with fruit is called a melomel.

Stats (still two identical batches):

  • Started: 10 Jul 2011
  • First Rack: 30 Jul 2011 (onto 10lbs of peaches, pureed and sanitized)

Peach?

Leave a comment

I started up 2 new 4.5 gallon batches of mead today, finishing up the 5 gallon bucket of honey that I bought earlier this summer. How fast it has gone, but oh well. For future consideration, I don’t think the money I save buying in the bulk 5 gallon bucket is worth the inconvenience of measuring out the right amount of honey for each batch. Honey is very…viscous.

Anyway, the two batches are exactly the same recipe and I intend to keep it that way, hopefully I don’t lose one of them due to spigot issues (my goal is to be very careful with the spigot from here on out). Probably going to add peaches to the secondary (maybe raspberry/blackberries! either will be in season I think). I eyeballed the honey which maybe was a bad idea but was very convenient and worst case I’ll sweeten with more honey in the secondary when I add the fruit. Also experimenting with Irish Moss for the first time as a clarifier. Recipe:

  • 1 gallon wildflower honey
  • 1 heaping tbsp of Fermax yeast nutrient
  • 1/2 tsp irish moss
  • water up to 4.5 gallons (a little under 4.5 actually)
  • 1 packet Lalvin D47 yeast

Stats:

  • Started: 10 Jul 2011